Task Book and Basic Qualification Standards for Ski Patrol Volunteers
Volunteers are expected to learn and demonstrate the ability to do several things, all pertinent to personal safety and safety of others in winter conditions. These standards, taught and tested in a recruit’s first year, and are renewed every 3 years for seasoned patrollers.
- Basic knowledge of Crater Lake National Park – facts and figures
- First Aid– CPR, 1st Aid and Field Rescue Techniques
- Location Identification – knowledge of CLNP terrain, trails and significant topography
- Ski Skills – and practice, of course
- Rescue Skills – ropes, sleds, knots, GAR and Incident Command protocols
- Avalanche Skills – beacon search, companion rescue, snow science